The slow boat to Vulcan (Epsilon Eridani)
Elvis Gump
2007-02-18 19:06:25 UTC
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
Posted by CmdrTaco on Sunday February 18, @08:17AM
from the yeah-good-luck-with-that dept.
Space
xantox writes "There are three strategies to travel 10.5 light-years
from Earth to Epsilon Eridani and bring humanity into a new stellar
system : 1) Wait for future discovery of Star Trek physics and go there
almost instantaneously, 2) Build a relativistic rocket powered by
antimatter and go there in 22 years by accelerating constantly at 1g,
provided that you master stellar amounts of energy (so, nothing
realistic until now), but what about 3): go there by classical means, by
building a gigantic Ark of several miles in radius, propulsed by nuclear
fusion and featuring artificial gravity, oceans and cities, for a travel
of seven centuries — where many generations of men and women would live
? This new speculation uses some actual physics and math to figure out
how far are our fantasies of space travel from their actual implementation."

LINK:
http://www.strangepaths.com/interstellar-ark/2007/02/14/en/
Jaxtraw
2007-02-18 20:26:39 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
Well I think the primary reason for not doing that, other than most
estimates put the cost above the Earth's current or foreseeable GDP, is the
extreme moral dubiosity of marooning thousands of people in a crappy space
ark against their will. The first generation of socially isolated loners
with no friends may be wildly keen on the chance to live somewhere where
their perfection of Linux will be undisturbed by mundane troubles, but their
descendents, presuming that under these circumstances even the Linuxnauts
will manage to breed, may be rather less thrilled by being isolated from
their culture, humanity, trees, grass, fresh air, oceans, etc etc...

Who has the right to imprison their children?

Ian
--
www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in
Jaxtraw
2007-02-18 20:50:39 UTC
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
From the arkticle-

"Life: it is at the same time about the interior ecosystem of the Ark
(content) and its walls (container). The Ark is a closed system with a short
cycle if compared to those known on Earth. Given the immediate cause/effect
relationship between the global functioning of the Ark and the existence of
its inhabitants, one can predict that those will develop particularly
sharpened skills. The Ark being globally, and totally, an alive being, it
represents a source of constant interactions for its inhabitants, either if
it question of taking care of it or to be looked after from it. The nature
of the “propulsion-life” bond represents something philosophically
stimulating, because of the “mise en abyme” of the action which it founds.
The Ark shelters man, and man injects energy making it possible to the Ark
to live. That resembles the endosymbiose joining together the eucaryotes
cells and the mitochondries. It is about a relationship of total mutual
dependance, in a conscient form at one part (asymmetry founding a total
responsibility) and which seals a unity of destiny all the more intensely
felt than an alive being is totally master and totally slave of an another.
Interesting dialectical. On the level of individual moral construction
founding political systems, the small number of the population is an asset
to develop an “Athenian” democracy without political representative body,
which increases the richness of social interaction of individuals, insofar
as a direct and not mediated power is exerted."

LOLZ
Elvis Gump
2007-02-18 21:40:41 UTC
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
From the arkticle-
[...]
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
--
"How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for
somewhere else."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Jaxtraw
2007-02-18 21:47:41 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
From the arkticle-
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
Elvis Gump
2007-02-18 22:53:36 UTC
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
LOLZ
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
I'll bring my spoon since it's a cereal interface.
--
"Nature is by and large to be found out of doors, a location where, it
cannot be argued, there are never enough comfortable chairs."
-- Fran Leibowitz
Ron
2007-02-21 05:18:31 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
LOLZ
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
I'll bring my spoon since it's a cereal interface.
Uggh! Somebody get a rope! :-)

Ron
ToolPackinMama
OK, you guys are all officially WEIRD.
Elvis Gump
2007-02-21 06:28:03 UTC
Post by ToolPackinMama
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
LOLZ
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
I'll bring my spoon since it's a cereal interface.
Uggh! Somebody get a rope! :-)
OK, you guys are all officially WEIRD.
I thought you were the one with the fantasy about Spock having Kirk's
balls in a vise or something and yet we're weird?
--
"She had my balls in a vice, but she left the dick
I guess its still hooked on, but now it shoots too quick!"
-- "Bobby Brown", Frank Zappa
EvilBill
2007-02-21 11:21:43 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by ToolPackinMama
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
LOLZ
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
I'll bring my spoon since it's a cereal interface.
Uggh! Somebody get a rope! :-)
OK, you guys are all officially WEIRD.
I thought you were the one with the fantasy about Spock having Kirk's
balls in a vise or something and yet we're weird?
She's not one of the ones making atrocious puns ;)
* I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me
to expect the worst.

Yahoo: evilbill_agqx
Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk
Jaxtraw
2007-02-21 12:21:05 UTC
Post by EvilBill
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by ToolPackinMama
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
LOLZ
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
I'll bring my spoon since it's a cereal interface.
Uggh! Somebody get a rope! :-)
OK, you guys are all officially WEIRD.
I thought you were the one with the fantasy about Spock having Kirk's
balls in a vise or something and yet we're weird?
She's not one of the ones making atrocious puns ;)
Talking of which, I'm planning a film about the powerful mating urge of the
reptilian order Testudines.

It's called "Amok Turtle".

Ian
Ron
2007-02-21 20:30:11 UTC
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by EvilBill
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by ToolPackinMama
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
LOLZ
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
I'll bring my spoon since it's a cereal interface.
Uggh! Somebody get a rope! :-)
OK, you guys are all officially WEIRD.
I thought you were the one with the fantasy about Spock having Kirk's
balls in a vise or something and yet we're weird?
She's not one of the ones making atrocious puns ;)
Talking of which, I'm planning a film about the powerful mating urge of the
reptilian order Testudines.
It's called "Amok Turtle".
Ian
--www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in- Hide quoted text -
Good for you! Finally coming out of your shell, eh?

Ron
Jaxtraw
No, I just have my head stuck in my turtleneck.
Elvis Gump
2007-02-22 00:02:51 UTC
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Ron
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by EvilBill
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by ToolPackinMama
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
LOLZ
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
I'll bring my spoon since it's a cereal interface.
Uggh! Somebody get a rope! :-)
OK, you guys are all officially WEIRD.
I thought you were the one with the fantasy about Spock having
Kirk's balls in a vise or something and yet we're weird?
She's not one of the ones making atrocious puns ;)
Talking of which, I'm planning a film about the powerful mating urge
of the reptilian order Testudines.
It's called "Amok Turtle".
Ian
--www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in- Hide quoted text -
Good for you! Finally coming out of your shell, eh?
No, I just have my head stuck in my turtleneck.
Aye it's better than having a turtle head pokin' out.
--
"I ate a baby!"
-- Fat Bastard
Ron
2007-02-22 21:12:00 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by EvilBill
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by ToolPackinMama
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
LOLZ
I guess I should have titled it "The SHORT-BUS to Vulcan"!
What about the Data bus to Vulcan?
I'll bring my spoon since it's a cereal interface.
Uggh! Somebody get a rope! :-)
OK, you guys are all officially WEIRD.
I thought you were the one with the fantasy about Spock having
Kirk's balls in a vise or something and yet we're weird?
She's not one of the ones making atrocious puns ;)
Talking of which, I'm planning a film about the powerful mating urge
of the reptilian order Testudines.
It's called "Amok Turtle".
Ian
--www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in- Hide quoted text -
Good for you! Finally coming out of your shell, eh?
No, I just have my head stuck in my turtleneck.- Hide quoted text -
I guess that's better than getting your fly stuck in your zipper.

Ron
David Johnston
2007-02-21 06:19:11 UTC
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:50:39 -0000, "Jaxtraw"
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
From the arkticle-
[...]
Actually I was thinking the kind of people who would set out to
isolate themselves and their descendents for seven centuries would be
some kind of lunatic religious cult or ideological commune.
Elvis Gump
2007-02-21 06:46:48 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Actually I was thinking the kind of people who would set out to
isolate themselves and their descendents for seven centuries would be
some kind of lunatic religious cult or ideological commune.
Isn't religious cult an oxymoron?

They might be loony, and after a few hundred years of being spam in a
can all the decedents will be rather smelly and sick of the recycled
water already, but at least they'd know that their destination actually
EXISTED - whereas with the whole afterlife thing it's a crap shoot.

Not that I give a tink about ideological communes mind you. Smelly
dependents who would make you sick with recycled tofu prolly.
--
"I'm gonna crack my knuckles and jump for joy, I got a clean bill of
health from Dr. McCoy!"
-- Adam, "The Way to Eden"
David Johnston
Nope. Cults are small.
Elvis Gump
2007-02-21 19:58:17 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by David Johnston
Actually I was thinking the kind of people who would set out to
isolate themselves and their descendents for seven centuries would be
some kind of lunatic religious cult or ideological commune.
Isn't religious cult an oxymoron?
Nope. Cults are small.
The morons in Scientology aren't exactly a small gaggle. Nor are the
Mormons who are just a "m" off from being appropriately named. Indeed
most of the worlds religions started out as cults of people that
believed outrageously stupid things and then compounded it by building
whole cultures on said stupidity.

But really the whole cult or religion distinction is really semantics.
They are all assholes who sooner or later advocating killing the other
'non-believers' of their particular delusion.

If you find my intolerance for religion offensive, I would like to take
this opportunity to invite you to go bugger your backwards,
superstitious ass.

Either that or forgive me.

Or gloat that I will burn with the other unbelieving infidel pagan
heathens in lakes of fire for all eternity whilst you lot praise your
god or fuck virgins in paradise on streets paved with gold.

Amen!
--
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-- Douglas Adams
Jaxtraw
2007-02-21 20:16:43 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by David Johnston
[...]
If you define a cult as an organised group who promulgate a religious belief
system, actively recruit the young, extract money from them, order them to
follow strict rules and rituals and cuts them off from non-believing friends
and family, and which practises entryism, uses intimidation, threat and
violence and attempts to subvert society to its cause, while condemning
unbelievers as evil heretics whose sin will invoke the apocalypse, you'd
better include Environmentalism as well. That's pretty fucking huge, of
late.

Ian
George Peatty
2007-02-21 21:13:08 UTC
I'll go with this one ..
Jaxtraw
2007-02-21 21:30:16 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Or gloat that I will burn with the other unbelieving infidel pagan
heathens in lakes of fire for all eternity whilst you lot praise your
god or fuck virgins in paradise on streets paved with gold.
I'll go with this one ..
I think offering to accompany a sinner into the Pit is taking commitment to
faith a bit far...

;o)
Elvis Gump
2007-02-22 00:07:56 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Or gloat that I will burn with the other unbelieving infidel pagan
heathens in lakes of fire for all eternity whilst you lot praise your
god or fuck virgins in paradise on streets paved with gold.
I'll go with this one ..
So your a gloater eh? Well just remember if they pave the streets with
gold they're liable to fill yer teeth with asphalt.

Or if your that lot that likes the sound of the 72 virgins as yer
heavenly reward I'll advise about four or five virgins in I'm sure
you're gonna wish for a pro.

Pray for enlightenment.
Freedom from incrustation of grime is contiguous to rectitude.
Jaxtraw
2007-02-22 00:16:35 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Or gloat that I will burn with the other unbelieving infidel pagan
heathens in lakes of fire for all eternity whilst you lot praise
your god or fuck virgins in paradise on streets paved with gold.
I'll go with this one ..
So your a gloater eh? Well just remember if they pave the streets with
gold they're liable to fill yer teeth with asphalt.
Or if your that lot that likes the sound of the 72 virgins as yer
heavenly reward I'll advise about four or five virgins in I'm sure
you're gonna wish for a pro.
I've never understood this obsession with virgins. I've read that bit of the
Quran, and so far as I can tell, all these much lauded virgins do is bring
you fruit. So your reward in heaven is an overstaffed vegetarian restaurant.
Not much to write home about really.

Ian
Elvis Gump
2007-02-22 01:12:27 UTC
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
Or gloat that I will burn with the other unbelieving infidel pagan
heathens in lakes of fire for all eternity whilst you lot praise
your god or fuck virgins in paradise on streets paved with gold.
I'll go with this one ..
So your a gloater eh? Well just remember if they pave the streets with
gold they're liable to fill yer teeth with asphalt.
Or if your that lot that likes the sound of the 72 virgins as yer
heavenly reward I'll advise about four or five virgins in I'm sure
you're gonna wish for a pro.
I've never understood this obsession with virgins. I've read that bit of the
Quran, and so far as I can tell, all these much lauded virgins do is bring
you fruit. So your reward in heaven is an overstaffed vegetarian restaurant.
Not much to write home about really.
Ian
You just say that because you've just never had a really good kumquat.

The virgins though are the origin of the homily "a bloody pain"...
Your boss is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
Ron
2007-02-22 21:15:20 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
[...]
Your boss is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.- Hide quoted text -
This is virgin territory for this group. No, sir; I just don't like
it.

Ron
The Merry Piper
2007-02-22 21:23:56 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
[...]
Just wave to all the dudes and say "Hy, men!"

--
The Merry Piper
[http://tmpiper.livejournal.com]
If you want to dance, you'll have to pay ... me!
Elvis Gump
2007-02-23 04:57:05 UTC
Post by The Merry Piper
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
[...]
I'm getting a whiff of something fishy...
--
"She is not old - just well marinated."
-- Heinlein
ToolPackinMama
2007-02-23 05:06:04 UTC
Guys... come on. Seriously. Are you not better than that?
Ron
2007-02-23 21:45:43 UTC
Post by ToolPackinMama
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by The Merry Piper
Just wave to all the dudes and say "Hy, men!"
I'm getting a whiff of something fishy...
Guys... come on. Seriously. Are you not better than that?
No. Not really. ;-)

Ron
EvilBill
2007-02-22 03:01:10 UTC
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
Or if your that lot that likes the sound of the 72 virgins as yer
heavenly reward I'll advise about four or five virgins in I'm sure
you're gonna wish for a pro.
I've never understood this obsession with virgins.
Oh, it's simple: it's so that inexperienced or unskilled men won't be
criticised cause the girls have no-one else to compare them with ;)

Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk
Jaxtraw
2007-02-22 10:57:47 UTC
Post by EvilBill
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
Or if your that lot that likes the sound of the 72 virgins as yer
heavenly reward I'll advise about four or five virgins in I'm sure
you're gonna wish for a pro.
I've never understood this obsession with virgins.
Oh, it's simple: it's so that inexperienced or unskilled men won't be
criticised cause the girls have no-one else to compare them with ;)
Apparently the girls remain perpetual virgins. I take this to mean that
terrorists have very teeny weenies indeed.

Ian
George Peatty
2007-02-22 13:56:03 UTC
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:07:56 -0600, Elvis Gump
Post by Elvis Gump
Pray for enlightenment.
I do. Yours.
Elvis Gump
2007-02-18 21:38:39 UTC
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
What happens when dubiousity achieves total heaviosity?

Does curiosity and preciosity lead to grandiosity?
Post by Jaxtraw
of marooning thousands of people in a crappy space
ark against their will. The first generation of socially isolated loners
with no friends may be wildly keen on the chance to live somewhere where
their perfection of Linux will be undisturbed by mundane troubles, but their
descendents, presuming that under these circumstances even the Linuxnauts
will manage to breed, may be rather less thrilled by being isolated from
their culture, humanity, trees, grass, fresh air, oceans, etc etc...
Who has the right to imprison their children?
Ian
Windows users?
--
"I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an
argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer
-- Dave Barry
Jaxtraw
2007-02-18 21:46:42 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
Radiosity, and nebulosity
Post by Elvis Gump
Does curiosity and preciosity lead to grandiosity?
Curiously, negativity.
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Jaxtraw
of marooning thousands of people in a crappy space
ark against their will. The first generation of socially isolated
loners with no friends may be wildly keen on the chance to live
somewhere where their perfection of Linux will be undisturbed by
mundane troubles, but their descendents, presuming that under these
circumstances even the Linuxnauts will manage to breed, may be
rather less thrilled by being isolated from their culture, humanity,
trees, grass, fresh air, oceans, etc etc...
Who has the right to imprison their children?
Windows users?
No thanks, I've already eaten.

Ian
Steven L.
2007-02-19 02:34:43 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
There is a FOURTH strategy, and AFAIK, only Isaac Asimov ever proposed it:

In our own solar system, way beyond the orbit of Pluto, lies the "Oort
cloud," zillions of frozen comets and asteroids orbiting our Sun. It is
nearly one whole light-year from our Sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud

If the evolution of our solar system is typical, then we would expect
such Oort clouds around other planetary systems. There should be an
Oort cloud around Alpha Centauri too. If it too is at a distance of one
light year from its primary, then a trip from a comet in our Oort cloud
to a comet in the Alpha Centauri Oort cloud would be 2 light years less
than travel between the inner planets of one star to the other.
Essentially, we would use the Oort clouds as intermediate stepping stones.

Furthermore, the gravitational pull of the Sun on those comets in the
Oort cloud is extremely weak, obviously. It wouldn't take much to build
rocket engines powerful enough to push one of those comets completely
out of its orbit. If we built a base with life-support on one of those
comets, and then pushed it out of the Solar System, people on it could
simply ride it all the way to the outer Oort Cloud of Alpha Centauri,
where they could fire the rocket engines again and enter orbit around
Alpha Centauri.

In this way, we would use those comets as interstellar shuttlecraft.
Each time we entered the Oort Cloud of a new stellar system,
conventional space ships could take off from that comet and explore that
stellar system.

A comet is large enough for bases, even cities, whatever you want to
build on top of it. It's mostly frozen ice, so there's a ready supply
of water. That way, you don't need to build a huge "space ark" from
scratch. And as I said, by jumping from one star's Oort cloud to
another, you shorten the travel time by an average of two light years
each trip.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
Elvis Gump
2007-02-19 07:48:33 UTC
Post by Steven L.
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
I have a winter home there. You should look into it before it's
completely gentrified.
Post by Steven L.
If the evolution of our solar system is typical, then we would expect
such Oort clouds around other planetary systems. There should be an
Oort cloud around Alpha Centauri too. If it too is at a distance of one
light year from its primary, then a trip from a comet in our Oort cloud
to a comet in the Alpha Centauri Oort cloud would be 2 light years less
than travel between the inner planets of one star to the other.
Essentially, we would use the Oort clouds as intermediate stepping stones.
The Oort Chamber of Commerce ironically uses the old Monkey's classic
"I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" in it's promotional materials.
Post by Steven L.
Furthermore, the gravitational pull of the Sun on those comets in the
Oort cloud is extremely weak, obviously. It wouldn't take much to build
rocket engines powerful enough to push one of those comets completely
out of its orbit. If we built a base with life-support on one of those
comets, and then pushed it out of the Solar System, people on it could
simply ride it all the way to the outer Oort Cloud of Alpha Centauri,
where they could fire the rocket engines again and enter orbit around
Alpha Centauri.
So we build ships to get to the Oort Cloud and then we tear those down
to re-rig them to push asteroids? Do you top off the rockets at the
nearest Esso station to push all that additional rock?
Post by Steven L.
In this way, we would use those comets as interstellar shuttlecraft.
Each time we entered the Oort Cloud of a new stellar system,
conventional space ships could take off from that comet and explore that
stellar system.
Sort of a Mothership, er, Motheroid? Asteroid Galactica?

"I got TV in meteor crater! Sony Trinitron! Thirty-two inches!"
Post by Steven L.
A comet is large enough for bases, even cities, whatever you want to
build on top of it. It's mostly frozen ice, so there's a ready supply
of water. That way, you don't need to build a huge "space ark" from
scratch. And as I said, by jumping from one star's Oort cloud to
another, you shorten the travel time by an average of two light years
each trip.
Yeah, if you apply the "If you lived here you'd be home by now" theory.

Thing is we don't live in the Oort Cloud suburbs. Well most of us don't
anyway. Nor does anyone in Alpha Centauri (which I suggest we skip
anyway, you wouldn't like them, they are all furry creatures with
fantastically bad manners).

We need to build some sort of big starship with room for lots of people
who wander the corridors randomly so we don't feel lonely and we need a
sort of hanger deck and I guess we could call the whole enterprise
something like Motherstar Galactica!

And like I said we skip A.C. -I suggest we all go to Milliways built on
Magrathea instead. They have a great brunch menu and the evening floor
show is the definition of the show to end all shows.
--
"In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real
men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri
-- Douglas Adams
Ron
2007-02-21 05:26:43 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Steven L.
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
Post by Steven L.
If the evolution of our solar system is typical, then we would expect
such Oort clouds around other planetary systems. There should be an
Oort cloud around Alpha Centauri too. If it too is at a distance of one
light year from its primary, then a trip from a comet in our Oort cloud
to a comet in the Alpha Centauri Oort cloud would be 2 light years less
than travel between the inner planets of one star to the other.
Essentially, we would use the Oort clouds as intermediate stepping stones.
The Oort Chamber of Commerce ironically uses the old Monkey's classic
"I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" in it's promotional materials.
For those too young to remember, that's MONKEES. What a chimp, uh
chump! :-)

Ron
Elvis Gump
2007-02-21 06:24:58 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Steven L.
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
Post by Steven L.
If the evolution of our solar system is typical, then we would expect
such Oort clouds around other planetary systems. There should be an
Oort cloud around Alpha Centauri too. If it too is at a distance of one
light year from its primary, then a trip from a comet in our Oort cloud
to a comet in the Alpha Centauri Oort cloud would be 2 light years less
than travel between the inner planets of one star to the other.
Essentially, we would use the Oort clouds as intermediate stepping stones.
The Oort Chamber of Commerce ironically uses the old Monkey's classic
"I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" in it's promotional materials.
For those too young to remember, that's MONKEES. What a chimp, uh
chump! :-)
Ron
Did a beetle crawl up your butt or what?
--
A rolling stone gathers no moss. It's too pissed on sex, drugs and rock
and roll.
Ron
2007-02-21 09:09:21 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Steven L.
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
Post by Steven L.
[...]
and roll.- Hide quoted text -
Well, yes; I am slightly ticked.

Ron
Ron
2007-02-21 03:33:47 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
There are oother star systems closer to the Earth: Al Rijil (aplpha
Centauri) at 4.3 light years, Barnard's star at 5.6 light years, and
Sirius at 8.7 light years. They have "wobbles" suggesting planetary
bodies if I remember that paper I did in college physics cclass, and
wouldn't take generations to reach if somebody was going to make a
dedicated effort. But from some of the things I have read, an
inertialess drive is more in the foreseeable future than a warp drive.
By the way, is anybody even working on a warp drive or is the concept
flawed to begin with? :-)

Ron
David Johnston
2007-02-21 04:18:26 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
Nobody in their right mind would want to go to Barnard's Star or
Sirius at STL speeds. Alpha Centauri is a possibility though. But
Vulcan isn't there.
ToolPackinMama
2007-02-21 04:26:25 UTC
Why?
David Johnston
2007-02-21 06:00:31 UTC
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:26:25 -0500, ToolPackinMama
Post by David Johnston
Nobody in their right mind would want to go to Barnard's Star or
Sirius at STL speeds.
Why?
Barnard's Star is this ancient tiny little red dwarf. It's cold even
for a red dwarf. Any rocks revolving around it are very frozen.
They'll make Pluto look like a summer resort. Sirius is a very young
binary star with an average separation between the components of 20
astronomical units (about where Neptune is). Worse the second
component is a white dwarf that used to be a blue giant that fried the
entire system as it left the main sequence and careened through the
system as it lost much more than half of it's mass.
Elvis Gump
2007-02-21 06:32:55 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Nobody in their right mind would want to go to Barnard's Star or
Sirius at STL speeds.
Why?
Barnard's Star is this ancient tiny little red dwarf. It's cold even
for a red dwarf. Any rocks revolving around it are very frozen.
They'll make Pluto look like a summer resort. Sirius is a very young
binary star with an average separation between the components of 20
astronomical units (about where Neptune is). Worse the second
component is a white dwarf that used to be a blue giant that fried the
entire system as it left the main sequence and careened through the
system as it lost much more than half of it's mass.
You say all that like it's a bad thing.

Next you'll bag on the red sun of Krypton making all the inhabitants
steroid cases with spit curls. There's no pleasing some people when you
are showing them real estate.
--
"I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it."
-- Douglas Adams
Elvis Gump
2007-02-21 05:19:35 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Ron
There are oother star systems closer to the Earth: Al Rijil (aplpha
Centauri) at 4.3 light years, Barnard's star at 5.6 light years, and
Sirius at 8.7 light years.
Nobody in their right mind would want to go to Barnard's Star or
Sirius at STL speeds.
Forget the speed, consider the exchange rate of the Euro to the Altarian
dollar.
Post by David Johnston
Alpha Centauri is a possibility though. But
Vulcan isn't there.
Did they move Vulcan AGAIN?
--
"Monetary Units: None.
In fact there are three freely convertible currencies in the Galaxy, but
-- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
Ron
2007-02-21 05:29:06 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
Vulcan isn't there. - Hide quoted text -
Hey, if it's good enough for Zefram Cochrane, it's good enough for
me! :-)

Ron
David Johnston
2007-02-21 06:11:48 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by David Johnston
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
You'd probably find him there when you arrived.
ToolPackinMama
2007-02-21 04:25:43 UTC
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/research/warp/warp.html
Elvis Gump
2007-02-21 04:33:42 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
[...]
6 planets, 2 inhabitable, all rubbish.
Post by Ron
Barnard's star at 5.6 light years,
Gone to the dogs worse than Sirius...
Post by Ron
and Sirius at 8.7 light years.
Gone to the dogs. Have you ever HAD space fleas?
Post by Ron
They have "wobbles" suggesting planetary bodies if I remember that
paper I did in college physics cclass,
That's just drinking on a cosmic scale does for a solar system. For
example the inhabitants of Sirius aren't all bald and in rehab by accident.
Post by Ron
and wouldn't take generations to reach if somebody was going to make
a dedicated effort.
Yeah, but think of what Richard Branson would charge to fly there in
Virgin Galactic? And imagine getting there to discover your luggage went
to Uranus.
Post by Ron
But from some of the things I have read, an
inertialess drive is more in the foreseeable future than a warp drive.
By the way, is anybody even working on a warp drive or is the concept
flawed to begin with? :-)
Ron
Bill Shatner is working on that warp drive thing I hear. Prolly be
making more progress if he quit trying to get into Candice's granny
drawers, but you gotta admire the old guys spunk. So to speak.
-- Douglas Adams
Ron
2007-02-21 05:34:58 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Ron
Post by Elvis Gump
From Slashdot.org
Science: Interstellar Ark
Post by Ron
They have "wobbles" suggesting planetary bodies if I remember that
paper I did in college physics cclass,
That's just drinking on a cosmic scale does for a solar system. For
example the inhabitants of Sirius aren't all bald and in rehab by accident.
You're not sirius are you?

Ron
o***@earthlink.net
2007-06-19 07:09:14 UTC
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:06:25 -0600, Elvis Gump
Post by Elvis Gump
uild a relativistic rocket powered by
antimatter and go there in 22 years by accelerating constantly at 1g,
What is this fascination with accelerating constantly at 1g? "Oh! we
can't go to the stars because we have to accelerate constantly at 1g
or our dentures will fall out!!"

Dudes! The human body can withstand much higher acceleration than 1g.
We have put people at 36g for brief periods of time w/o causing
permanent damage. If the passengers are strapped down, sedated, and
fed intravenously 5g - 7g is probably possible for long periods of
time, perhaps days or weeks.
--
Paleontologists recently announced they have
discovered when Man first discovered language:

And it was BAD language.